Tuesday, June 26, 2007

If what I'm hearing is true.

And with the 3rd pick in the draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Yi Jianlian. This soo might happen and I'm soo terrified and I soo will never forgive Billy Knight when this kid turns out to be a bust! First of all there are several question marks surrounding this young man. Some say he's 20 some say he's 23. I know this might not seem like a big deal, but it is. A 23 year old should be far more developed than a 20 year old so we need to know where his ceiling might be. If he's 23 his game might not get that much better than it already is. He already has a list of teams that he doesn't want to play for so that leads me to believe that he's not coming over here to be a basketball player he's coming over here to be a superstar. Totally unacceptable! He needs to earn his super stardom as opposed to just hoping to get drafted by a major market. I know that drafting a Chinese player will bring on a big following, but I don't give a damn about what kind of exposure the Hawks get as long as they are winning games. And another thing, he's a jump shooter. I know he's 7 feet tall supposedly, but he's a 7 ft jump shooter so drafting him still doesn't address one of our biggest needs which is a post player. We need someone who will go no further than about 10 feet away from the basket. I'm tired of looking at these 7 ft jump shooters. I really want the NBA to go back to the day where 7 footers played in the post. The ish is getting out of hand right now. Every GM is looking for the next Dirk Nowitzki and I'd rather have the next Tim Duncan or some 7 footer who isn't the least bit interested in shooting 3's. I don't understand how Yi could have climbed up to 3rd pick status on the Hawks draft board when everyone else has him around 9 or 10. There is no way in hell that you can make me believe this young man is the 3rd best player in the draft! This is so going to look like 2003 when the Pistons took Darko even though Carmelo and Wade and Bosh were still on the board. The only difference is that we won't have a championship to show for it. The sad truth is that this draft could set us up for the next 6-10 years or it could set us back for the next 6-10 years. Given the history of this GM, it will probably set us back. The Hawks have about 2 years left of my loyalty. If there is not significant improvement (by significant improvement I mean playoffs) I'm soo switching teams. That's it, I'm not going to spend my time rooting for a team that has absolutely no interest in winning. I refuse to be that fan. Oh and one more thing about Yi, Boston really likes him. Nuff said.

No comments: